Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Reflections

Before I took this course, I thought I was fairly well-versed in technology, and I was definitely open to new types of technology. After the last two months, I have realized that it is true that I'm open to new types of technology; however, although I learn quickly, I realized that I have much more to learn about using technology in the classroom. During the class, I have developed the basic skills needed to use wikis, blogs, and podcasts in my classroom, but more importantly, I have gained confidence in myself using technology in my classes. Since I was successful in using the various types of technology, I'm more likely to use them in the classroom effectively.

This course is just an introduction to the different types of technology that can be used to enrich my classroom and increase student achievement. I must continue to stay ahead of the new emerging technology that can be beneficial to my students. One way to expand knowledge about integrating technology would be to observe fellow teachers who effectively use technology in their lessons. Participating in conferences and seminars and continuing to read articles based on this topic will also help.

One goal I would like to make for myself would be to begin the school year promoting technology as a staple in my classroom. Sometimes certain types of technology get a bad reputation, and it’s difficult to get parents on board to allow their children to use the internet tools, like blogs, because of safety issues. However, I would like to promote technology and insert it into my grading policies and during Back to School night when parents can ask questions about its purpose and meaning. Students need to start out the year knowing that using different types of technology will be expected of them.

Another goal I would like to achieve is to use at least one piece of technology consistently, such as a blog, to improve writing skills. Although difficult because of lack of computer time, motivating students to write using blogging will be an effective way to use technology and get students thinking critically. Using a blog at least once a week with a question related to topics discussed in class will give students the opportunity to participate in an online discussion.

Learning how to use more technology and making these goals makes me feel confident about the integration of technology in my classroom. I can’t wait to improve my lessons with all I have learned over the last two months!

No comments:

Post a Comment