Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Let's give them something to talk about...

The social learning theory is all about making connections with other individuals to create meaning in learning.

Cooperative learning is defined as students working together to "attain group goals that cannot be obtained by working alone or competitively" (Johnson, Johnson, & Holubec, 1986). This is part of social learning theories because it involves the interaction between two or more students, and together they create their own meaning from discussions and collaboration on a project. In cooperative learning groups, students are each responsible for their own learning, but they can use their other group members to expand on that learning through discussions and conversations.

Some of the social networking tools described, like Voice Thread and even Facebook, provide an opportunity for students to interact with outside participants who may have the same interests and talents as them. They require students to learn based on who they are in a more authentic way, via discussion posts, etc.


I have created my first Voice Thread, and I have to admit that I really enjoyed making it because it was so ridiculously easy to use! I like that once students learn how to use the program, they can even use it for their own personal reasons.

The following VoiceThread was made based on a project I would like to complete with my 7th graders after they read, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli! The VT itself has all the information I want to get out to the students, but I think it's still missing something.

Stargirl: A Project

5 comments:

  1. Bethanne,
    The statement that “students are responsible for their own learning” is very important to remember. Given the opportunity to share and collaborate helps them to realize they really can do it. By working together everyone has the chance to offer their expertise for specific skills.
    Linda V

    ReplyDelete
  2. Students really do use their group members ( peers) to expand on their learnig through discussion and conversation.Students love to interact with each other, so using the method to learn is definitely good.I enjoyed the voice thread experience and I agree that it is a great technology tool to introduce to my students and incoporate in my lessons.
    Cassandra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found VoiceThread surprisingly easy to use. So much so that I've decided to work in a project with the final days of school left. I am working with the English teacher to have the students present an oral book report online. They are finding images that represent the characters and setting in their story. So far, all is going well. The kids picked up on this very quickly. I think it helped that we had done PhotoStory earlier in the year.

    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda and Cassandra - This tool will make the collaboration between groups of students richer and more exciting for them.

    Brett- That's great that your students are using the program already! I'm jealous that you had a chance to try it! I'm already thinking about a poetry book I always assign to students at the end of the year. They have to find pictures to represent the poem they are reading, and they'll have to read the poem! I think they'll really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bethanne,

    I also used my VoiceThread with a story I teach in the Anthology. I created my VoiceThread on before, during, and after reading strategies. This was my first time using VoiceThread, so it wasn't the best product, but I am still learning. I am excited to use it in my classroom next year.

    ReplyDelete