Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Checking my progress..

1. For my goals for promoting and modeling digital citizenship and responsibility, I have learned that for the most part I have not been an appropriate model for my students. I do encourage them to cite all of their sources when completing any project, but I do not do the same for when I use someone else’s work, such as for lesson or unit plans. As far as this goal goes, everything is going as planned. I am spending more time and effort citing sources and explaining to students the importance of giving credit.

2. Model Digital Age work and Learning - So far, I have learned that parents are extremely interested in seeing a blog about the day’s events or plans for my classes. However, not many of them like to leave comments. My goal is to encourage parents to share their comments on the blog, so other parents who may have the same questions can also get answers at the same time. One way I would definitely modify my plan is to notify parents at the beginning of the year or marking period when students switch into their classes. It’s difficult for parents to keep up with paperwork and actually pay attention to all the information going home at random times during the year. I feel that if it were to go home at the start of a class, then parents would be more likely to pay attention to a small detail such as this.

4 comments:

  1. Bethanne,
    I also find it difficult to cite all of my sources when creating lessons especially making Power Points. It is really easy to do, I mainly just forget to cite all of the sources, for example the images. It is such an important lesson for students and I do agree we need to be the examples. I have also been working on improving this as well and find myself improving each time I create something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethanne,

    I love your ideas for the blog. Many parents really like to know what is going on in the classroom, and a blog is an excellent way for them to keep up with it. Maybe you could have a beginning-of-the-year assignment where each students has to post a comment with their parents on the blog. That way, it gets everyone used to the blog and maybe it would encourage more participation in the future.

    Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda - I understand the frustration about pictures! I've found this year that students undestand the importance of citing information but Google images has made life so easy for them that they think they can just have the images for free! Oftentimes, they give Google the credit--it's a lesson in itself!

    Kara -

    That's a great idea! I think pairing up the students with their parents will also allow the students to teach their parents how to use the blog if they are unsure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bethanne,

    One way you can get parents to comment is to post something that requires a response. Ask for input and opinions. Something else you could do is put simple polls on your blog. Some parents may just not want to comment, but will take the time to vote on something. You can also install a tracking code on your blog through Google Analytics. This will let you know how many parents are reading your blog and how much time they spend on it per visit.

    Brett

    ReplyDelete