I teach 7th grade language arts across all levels of students from learning support to the highest honors classes. I know for a fact that they are all up-to-speed when it comes to the internet and technology because half of them can explain to me how to work the computer, and the other half have tried to “friend” me on Facebook. I feel as though blogging is an excellent tool for students to use in the classroom, and it’s especially relevant to my English classroom. On a more, superficial note, you wouldn’t believe the horrendous handwriting I come across everyday. All joking aside, technology belongs to these students. They use it every day at home, and for most of them, they aren’t connecting through computers, but cell phones, Ipods, PDA’s, and even E-readers! It just makes sense to connect with students on their level, to allow them to have an audience, a real audience.
In my classroom, if possible, I would assign every student a blog. Not only can they use it as a place to express their thoughts and feelings on any topic,much like we journal in class, but they can also showcase the best of their work to a global audience. On top of sharing it with the world, they can share with their classmates and offer up advice and comments on any given part of their blog in a conversational setting.
I can give a simple starting question that will hopefully spark discussion and interaction and force students to think together and individually. The best part about the blog is that it meets many standards all in one. Students communicate together and effectively express their thoughts and opinions, and they do it all in writing, something with which they need more and more contact in any subject.
There will be opposition to this type of interaction because it poses a threat to some parents, bringing on thoughts of potential kidnappings and harmful content, but with the right stipulations in place, the blog can be an interesting, new and different, and FUN way of communicating. Plus, if I’m lucky, they may even want to participate outside of class time!
Oh and the best part... we're saving trees!
Hi my name is Thomas Moore. I can see that you are going to be much better at blogging than I. One of the problems that you might face will be access to computers. I do not know your schools situation but, I can tell you it has been a pain using assignments that require computer time outside of the classroom. The only way I have found a solution is just to give them many opportunities for computer time. Again, great job and good luck with the rest of this class!!
ReplyDeleteDays in the computer lab are few and far between, that's for sure! You're right. I have many issues with computer access and the fact of the matter is that there are still students who don't have computer access at home. Ah, an everlasting puzzle for teachers to solve!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment!
Hi Bethanne:
ReplyDeleteI posted a comment earlier today and as usually it is not here. So I will try again. I agree with Thomas about the time constraints. If the kids do not have to the time in school, will they have access at home? I have also encountered the issue of blocked sites in my district. Even if you get the time, will you be allowed to work with it. Maybe the answer lies within the willingness of our states and districts to believe the success of technology in the classroom.