Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

21st Century Skills Needed

As I read through the Partnership for 21st Century Skills website, I was surprised that this site had not been mentioned to me before now. It's a very interesting site with quality information about the 21st Century skills all students need, and I was completely unaware of its existence!
The framework for these skills seems to be mapped out appropriately, and the skills students should acquire through the standards this program focuses on will be helpful to any student in their futures, most notably, learning to be life-long learners.

What surprised me the most, other than not being aware of the site before today, is the fact that only 14 states are listed as being part of the state iniatives. With technology growing so rapidly, I would think that many states would be jumping on board with 21st century skills as soon as possible! We all want our students to achieve their greatest dreams, and in order for them to read those dreams, they must be well-versed in 12st century skills that their counterparts will have. My own state, Pennsylvania, is not part of the iniative yet, and to not be part of this at the very beginning of its conception is a great disservice to our students whose lives are saturated in technology and 21st century expectations.

I like the idea that this idea is up and coming because technology standards should be mandatory because students will be faced with all types of technology in their futures. Teachers should be able to introduce this information to their students so they can be prepared for the workforce. Like it or not, technology is becoming a life skill in which everyone must be well-versed. If it is a mandatory standard, more technology will become available in schools to meet the standard therefore forcing teachers to use technology more effectively in their lessons and motivate students to think differently, to think beyond a pen and paper, to think outside the four walls of the classroom.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that if technology standards have to be enforced, then schools will provide the technology for their students. For that to happen, teachers will need training on how to successfully implement technology in their lesson plans. I know it always comes down to money, which is so frustrating because it is very clear our students need to learn the skills presented on the 21st Century Skills website. This predicament encourages educators to be creative and try to implement as many of these skills as possible with sometimes limited resources.

    Our state is not part of the 21st Century Skills initiative either and I, too, thought it crazy I had not heard of the website. Hopefully the word will spread and other states will join the initiative to prepare our students for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Lindenbaum,

    The students are interested in technology. They also get excited about learning when technology is involved which is one reason why I think it is so important. Recently my students created government podcasts. I introduced the project by telling my students they were going to get to teach someone else about the U.S. government. The students were eager to begin researching so they could write the scripts for their podcasts. Once we recorded the podcasts, they were able to hear themselves. We finished recording on Wednesday and my students were asking on Friday when they would create another podcast. I was pleased to see their enthusiasm in wanting to share their knowledge with others using technology.

    Technology is so important in a wide variety of jobs in today’s society. I believe that the students should be learning these skills in the classroom from an early age. I know that technology has become very important in my school district. However, I have never heard anyone mention creating technology standards. I think technology standards would benefit our students. I agree that we are doing a disservice to our students by not teaching them these essential 21st century skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Lindenbaum,

    I agree with you that if technology standards have to be enforced, then schools will provide the technology for their students. For that to happen, teachers will need training on how to successfully implement technology in their lesson plans. I know it always comes down to money, which is so frustrating because it is very clear our students need to learn the skills presented on the 21st Century Skills website. This predicament encourages educators to be creative and try to implement as many of these skills as possible with sometimes limited resources.

    Our state is not part of the 21st Century Skills initiative either and I, too, thought it crazy I had not heard of the website. Hopefully the word will spread and other states will join the initiative to prepare our students for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs.Young, indeed I agree with you about how the students get motivated to use technology in the classroom.

    I use tablet notebook personal computer in my advance group of students to do their math problem electronically. I mean I do not use pen, paper and textbook in their class. The students get very motivated and focus on the topic and they look forward to come to my class on time and be ready to start with their work.

    There are also few instances when students from other classes hear about the technology use in my class and wanted to use them. Since I am piloting the program and it is not used in other class, I still see some of the other class students using the same kind of technology by getting the information from their friends. I am amazed to see them using it. However there are cases when students face a problem, they approach me which makes me amazed of their growing performance.

    Jeya Kumar.

    ReplyDelete